ZIP is a high speed, deluxe sport runabout in the classic style. She furnishes all of the flashing speed, thrills, and performance that one could hope for. Ideally suited for towing water skiers or showing the local lads a clean pair of heels ZIP can also be finished as a utility with a large open cockpit for fishing or general use. With her flaring sides, she is very dry. The bottom design allows for quick starts and excellent performance, with a generous vee forward to cushion the ride. A roomy 5'-9" beam assures stability.
The hull can be extended up to 10% by re-spacing the frames from the aft end of the stem to the transom a proportional amount. Glen-L does not recommend increasing the beam.
These plans also include full size patterns and instructions for easy construction.
- Length: 14'-4" (4.37m)
- Beam: 5'-9" (1.75m)
- Hull depth: 27" (0.69m)
- Average passengers: 2-4
- Hull weight (approx.): 375lbs. (170kg)
- Hull type: Vee bottom hard chine hull developed for sheet plywood planking.
- Power: Short shaft outboard motor to 40 hp. Long shaft motor can be used if transom modified.
Materials and Hardware Required
Upon ordering a set of plans you will be issued with a unique coupon code. Use this code to receive discounts on your next five orders at Classic Boat Supplies and The Boat Warehouse (ten orders in total). Get discounts off virtually everything you will need to complete your project including seats, steering systems, fuel tanks, fastenings, gauges, fuel tanks and many more items. Note that timber purchases are not included in this offer and will normally be quoted for each project as a job lot.
Here's a summary of most of the hardware you will require:
- West System epoxy resin, hardener and adhesive filler
- Steering system: wheel, helm, cable, and cable mount
- Throttle lever and cable
- Fuel cap, tank, filler hose, fuel hose and fuel vent
- Torpedo cleat
- Eye bolt
- Drain plug
- Ignition switch
- Flag pole socket
- Windscreen fitting
- Navigation lights: Port, Starboard, Stern, All Round
- Horn cleats
- Instrumentation: Speedometer and pickup, Tachometer, Fuel gauge and sender
- Battery box and wiring
- Rigging hose
Classic Boat Supplies can source the timber you need to build your boat, along with delivery if required - please contact us for a quote. Alternatively you can source your own.
All timber noted allows length for fitting. All widths are actual size. All thicknesses are standard finished sizes, with 1" timber being four quarters material, usually finished about 3/4". Where the species are not available, another suitable marine timber can be substituted.
- Check all timber against the work prior to cutting.
- Use list below as a guide for estimating costs only. Refer to the plans before purchasing timber for exact requirements.
- Suitable alternative species can be substituted as required due to cost, local availability, etc.
|Frames||Spruce or Mahogany||-||30' x 1" random widths|
|Keel||Spruce or Mahogany||1||1" x 4" x 12'|
|Sheer Clamp||Oak or Mahogany||4||5/8" x 1-1/4" x 16'|
|Chine Log||Spruce or Mahogany||2||1" x 2" x 16'|
|Battens||Spruce, Oak or Mahogany||2
|1" x 2 1/2" x 10'
1" x 2" x 8'
|Carling, Runabout||Mahogany||2||1" x 4" x 8'|
|Carling, Utility||Mahogany||2||5/8" x 6" x 12'|
|Strongback, Runabout||Mahogany||1||1" x 2" x 8'|
|Strongback, Utility||Mahogany||1||1" x 2" x 4'|
|Seat Back Beams||Mahogany||2||1" x 2" x 11'|
|Deck Battens, Runabout||Mahogany||1 (makes 2)||1" x 2 " x 11'|
|Bumper Rail (optional)||Oak or Mahogany||2||1" x 2 " x 11'|
|Misc. 1" blocking||-||-||-|
All plywood should be of marine grade with a minimum of three plies.
|Side Planking (1)||Marine Ply||1||1/4" x 4' x 16' (2)|
|Bottom Planking||Marine Ply||2||1/4" x 30" x 14' (2)|
|Decking||Marine Ply||2||1/4" x 4' x 8' (2)|
|Transom, Stem, Breasthook & Knee||Marine Ply||1||3/4" x 3' x 6'|
(1) Note great care must be used in cutting both sides from the single sheet.
(2) 8' x 4' sheets can be substituted for longer sheets in all cases. Adjust quantities accordingly.
Flat Head Silicon Bronze Wood Screws
- 3/4" #8 screws - 400
- 1" #8 screws - 200
- 1-1/4" #8 screws - 100
- 1-1/2" #8 screws - 100
Silicon Bronze Annular Ring Nails
- 1" #12 nails - 1 lb.
Silicon Bronze Carriage Bolts
- 5/16" x 6" - 2 each, plus nuts and washers (stem to keel)
- 5/16" x 6" - 4 each, plus nuts and washers (transom knee to keel and transom)
- 1/4" x 2" - 6 each, plus nuts and washers (deck beams)
Approx. 2.4 litres WEST System Epoxy Resin